Sixth Form Results 2018
The “Sixth Form Class of 2018” are a truly awe-inspiring set of young people who have achieved the best results we have ever had within our sixth form; their success builds on the record levels of achievement for each of the last 5 years. Their results represent thousands of hours of hard work and revision and extensive support and guidance from our expert and dedicated staff and extremely supportive parents. Upon learning of the post 16 students’ achievements, David Waugh, Head Teacher said “…once again, Poynton High School Sixth Form students prove that they are simply inspirational.”
Students and staff are celebrating another record-breaking year at Poynton High School Sixth Form. This summer our 150 Year 13 students took over 450 A-Level examinations and BTEC assessments and have achieved record results across the board including 10% of all A-Levels being graded at the highest possible, prestigious A* Grade and 30% graded as A* or A. Student results have been exceptionally high at all levels and in all subjects with 5 students gaining straight A* grades, approaching 80% of all A-Levels graded at A* - C and an overall pass rate in excess of 99%.
Sixth Form Student Progress
These figures tell you how much progress students who studied qualifications at this school made between the end of Key Stage 4 and the end of their Sixth Form studies, compared to similar students across England.
We are really proud that our students are working above national levels and making more than expected progress.
Government Endorsed Statistics 2017, 2018 to follow
A level – Level 3 Value Added Score +0.01
Academic Qualifications – Level 3 Value Added Score +0.02
Applied General Qualifications – Level 3 Value Added Score -0.05
The Applied General refers to the three students studying Double BTEC Sport. These students achieved an average grade of Distinction + in this qualification.
Tech level – not applicable
Sixth Form Average Grade Achieved
The Average Grade Achieved score shows the value of the final average grades achieved by students at the end of their studies. This takes into account all ability levels across our student body. All grades from A* to E are full pass grades at A level and grades range from Distinction* to Pass in BTEC Applied General qualifications.
The percentage of students achieving A* was 10%, while 53% achieved A*-B and 79% achieved A*-C.
A level - C
Academic Qualifications – C
Applied General Qualifications – Distinction+
Tech level – not applicable
English and Maths Progress Measure
This figure measures the progress made by students who are resitting GCSE English and maths to achieve a Standard Pass (Grade 4) or higher while studying their Level 3 qualifications with us in the Sixth Form. The figures show excellent progress made by these students compared to the national figures.
Average progress made in English +1.00 (England average for state funded schools -0.10)
Average progress made in maths +0.50 (England average for state funded schools -0.1)
Retention – the proportion of students who get to the end of their main programme of study.
Retention rates are well above national figures and show how successful students are within Poynton Sixth Form at completing courses that they start. The high quality induction and the guidance given on types and models of suitable programmes of study mean that students complete the courses they begin.
Applied General Qualifications
Tech Level - not applicable
Destinations – this is the percentage of students who continue in education or training or move to employment at the end of 16 to 19 study
Students plan and achieve high quality outcomes in terms of destinations when they complete their studies with us in our Sixth Form. Around 80% of the students successfully embark on university courses as their chosen destination beyond Sixth Form. Between 35 and 45% of these places are accepted at Russell Group universities each year. The remaining students often seek and accept placements on high level Apprenticeship programmes or choose to enter the world of work directly after their Sixth Form studies.
Student Case Studies
• Jack Peacock has achieved 3 A* Grades and has gained a place to read Human, Social, and Political Sciences at Sidney Sussex College, University of Cambridge
• Alistair Greenwood has achieved A*A*AA and is going to Cambridge University to study History
• Calum Kendall is going to read Arts and Sciences at University College London after achieving an A* grade and 2 A grades
• Joe Parker has successfully gained his place at Nottingham University to read Physics after achieving 3 A* grades
• Antonia White, after achieving A*A*A*, is leaving PHS is read Biological Sciences at Cardiff University
• Lucy Brissenden achieved 3 A* grades and a Grade A and is going to read Physics at Lancaster University.
• Kate Robertshaw is starting her next adventure at Birmingham University studying Ancient History after achieving A*A*AA grades
• Matt Ball is leaving PHS to read Medicine after successfully gaining two A* grades and a grade B in his three A-Level subjects.
• Bradley Lloyd is about to embark on an Advanced Apprenticeship with Greater Manchester Police after gaining his 3 A-Levels
• Alicia Vermeulen is going to read Geography at Leeds University after achieve straight A grades in her A-Level subjects.
• Chloe Leach is going to Salford University to study Integrated Practice in Learning Disabilities Nursing and Social Care after gaining 4 A-Levels at BBCC grades.
16-18 Performance Tables