Year 8 Parent and Carer Bulletin
Dear Parents and Carers,
Please find inside this final bulletin of this academic year a celebration of the fantastic achievements of the Year 8s this year, as well as some ideas for what the students can do to get ahead in preparation for Year 9. A massive well done to the Year 8s for a brilliant year!
- Currently completing their study of the Magic Genre. They will have completed a range of assessments that reflect the Reading, Writing and Literature assessments they complete at Key Stage 4;
- In September, they will be exploring John Steinbeck’s Of Mice and Men as part of their preparation for the study of Literature texts when they get to GCSE;
- Over the summer encourage students to read as many books as possible! The more they read, the more they become used to understanding a wide variety of texts;
- Challenge your child to kick-start their Reading Challenge in Year 9 by reading a variety of texts over the holidays;
- Encourage students to ask as many questions as possible and get involved with the various activities and learning experiences on offer!
Maths and Science
- Congratulations to Year 8 for completing their KS3 Science course. When they return in September and go into Year 9 they will be starting their GCSE Science course.
- In Maths, the students will be continuing with the Kangaroo Maths Scheme of Work. The Year 8s have worked really hard this year; if there is anything they are unsure of, encourage them to look through their summer exam to find key topics they have found the most difficult this year. They can then look through their exercise book or doddle to help go over these topics to refresh their memory before September.
- Congratulations to students for completing Year 8 History. There has been some excellent work completed on a wide variety of topics such as, ‘How did William conquer England?’, ‘How did people achieve the right to vote’ and ‘Was the British Empire a force for good’.
- Students will be looking at the causes of World War One, life in the trenches, the rise of the Nazis and the Holocaust in Year 9. Why not visit the Imperial War Museum or watch a WW1 documentary on youtube over the summer in preparation for the new year?
- We wish all Year 8’s and their families a happy summer and look forward to welcoming them back in September.
- Year 8 have now finished looking at people who have changed the world. We have discussed important figures like Jackie Pullinger, Guru Gobind Singh and Martin Luther King and talked about the positive impact they have had on a variety of people lives.
- Students have worked well to engage in a series of mature discussions around difference and how it is important that we think of others and treat each other fairly.
- They have had a wonderful year and we hope they are looking forward to Year 9.
Well done Year 8 on another fantastic year; we look forward to welcoming you back on the 4th September refreshed and ready to get stuck in to Year 9. We wish you all a wonderful and restful summer break!
If you have any queries about anything school related, please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Thank you for your continued support.
Emma Keaveney Laura Swaffer
Director of Learning to KS3 Welfare Leader for Year 8 and 9