Parent and Carer Bulletin
Dear Parents and Carers,
Inside this bulletin, you will find key information and an update on the first full term, which enable us to work as an effective team supporting your child throughout their Year 10 studies.
Year team information:
- Thank you for your support in ensuring that your child’s attendance is good, you will be aware that every lesson at this stage consists of material in which your child could be assessed, any lessons missed can have an impact on your child’s subject knowledge.
- Food bank – thank-you to everybody who brought something in for the food bank. The food bank grotto was full to bursting before we delivered it out Stockport Food Bank, so it was a fantastic whole school effort.
- Sports ambassadors – a number of students in Yr10 have volunteered to be a sports ambassador and for the first term have supported the PE department with sports hall athletics events for primary schools, assisted with lunch time clubs and have supported the PE department in a number of other activities. This has been received really well and our young people are becoming excellent leaders.
- The Concert Band performed at multiple events this Christmas period including Poynton’s Christmas Fest on Park Lane outside Ciaos, two Music Concerts here at school, Queensgate Primary School, A joint concert with Poynton Youth Brass Band at Poynton Methodist Church and finally our end of year assembly on Friday.
- The Jazz Band has also had a busy term firstly performing with the National Youth Jazz Orchestra of Great Britain in November and receiving workshops from them which were challenging. The Jazz Band also played at Poynton Fest as well as both Christmas Concerts as well as an early morning performance for the staff in the main hall. Like Concert Band their final performance of this year is the end of year assembly on Friday.
- Achievement Points – students in Year 10 are making a huge effort to obtain as many reward points as possible. I have set the challenge for students to go above and beyond their norm and achieve the higher weighted points with H3s and H4s in the New Year. This is so they are fully engaged with tasks, class discussions and being more independent learners. I will look forward to celebrating with students who accomplish this challenge.
- Well done 10GHU for winning the highest amount of house points in Yr10 this term.
- Parents evening in the new year with be Wednesday 6th February 4-7pm. Please let us know in advance if you cannot make it but by the second week back students should be making appointments with their teachers.
- Progress grades will be issued on Wednesday 5th February. Students must use this as a guide at parents evening in order to understand what is going well and what they need to do to improve.
- A great way to stay connected is through following the year group Twitter page @PHS_Year10 and also the school page @PoyntonHigh.
Thank you for your continued support. Keep an eye out for further bulletins with more information from subject areas. Have a lovely Christmas and all the best for the New Year!
Annie Kennedy Anne Handby
Director of Learning (Years 10 & 11) Welfare Leader (Years 10 & 11)