Parent and Carer Bulletin
Dear parents and carers of Year 11 students,
As you will be aware there are now only 12 school weeks until the start of our main GCSE exam period. Every lesson at this stage counts more than ever! I hope that the information you find within this bulletin will allow you to be equipped to support your child through the coming crucial weeks.
Year team notices:
- Mock exams – students have been fantastic during this time, their approach and maturity going into the exams has been phenomenal and they should feel really proud of their efforts.
- We will have a mock results day on Friday 18th January so they get a feeling as to what it will be like in the summer. Below are tips and guidance on how you can support your son/daughter through the next couple of months.
- PiXL exams – these are our second set of mock examinations which will take place at the following times.
1 February periods 3 and 4
8 February 4 and 5 (early lunch in period 4)
6 February 1 and 2
6 March in SDD (Student Development day)
7 March periods 1 and 2
- Prom Date. The date for our Year 11 prom will be announced in the New Year – keep your eyes peeled.
- As soon as the full examination timetable has been published we will be sending you a link to the school website and informing you of the dates.
- National Citizenship Service. In the new year NCS will be speaking to the year group about the excellent opportunities available through their summer project work. More information can be found through visiting their website www.ncsyes.co.uk
- The Concert Band performed at multiple events this Christmas period including Poynton’s Christmas Fest on Park Lane outside Ciaos, two Music Concerts here at school, Queensgate Primary School, A joint concert with Poynton Youth Brass Band at Poynton Methodist Church and finally our end of year assembly on Friday.
- The Jazz Band has also had a busy term firstly performing with the National Youth Jazz Orchestra of Great Britain in November and receiving workshops from them which were challenging. The Jazz Band also played at Poynton Fest as well as both Christmas Concerts as well as an early morning performance for the staff in the main hall. Like Concert Band their final performance of this year is the end of year assembly on Friday.
- Food bank – thank-you to everybody who brought something in for the food bank. The food bank grotto was full to bursting before we delivered it out Stockport Food Bank, so it was a fantastic whole school effort.
- Achievement Points – students in Year 11 are making a huge effort to obtain as many reward points as possible. I have set the challenge for students to go above and beyond their norm and achieve the higher weighted points with H3s and H4s in the New Year. This is so they are fully engaged with tasks, class discussions and being more independent learners. I will look forward to celebrating with students who accomplish this challenge.
- Well done to 11SG for winning the highest amount of house points in Year 11 – keep up the good work!
Other useful info…
- Breakfast? Water? Sleep? The exam period can be a physical and mental struggle! Having a good healthy breakfast and making sure you stay hydrated is massively important. In the world of a Year 11 student social media can become all consuming, students must take time away from this both in order to focus on revision and also to ensure they get enough sleep.
- . Students should have: black pens, pencils, a ruler, a pair of compasses, a scientific calculator, an eraser and a highlighter. In exams this must be in a see-through pencil case. Most stationers sell exam packs with everything in them, we also have some equipment for sale in the school library.
- A quick win… The exam period can be a strain with lots of writing, one quick win is ensuring that your child has a pen that they like writing with. Some exams are over 2 hours long, a lengthy time to be writing with a scratchy pen that you don’t like.
- A great way to stay connected is through following the year group Twitter page @PHS_Year11 and also the school page @PoyntonHigh.
Thank you for your continued support. Keep an eye out for further bulletins with more information from subject areas. Have a lovely Christmas and all the best for the New Year!
Annie Kennedy Anne Handby
Director of Learning (Years 10 & 11) Welfare Leader (Years 10 & 11)