Poynton High School Sixth Form A-Level Students celebrate yet another truly outstanding year of achievement
Another record breaking year at Poynton High School Sixth Form with our 137 Year 13 students celebrating their exceptional achievement. Our Year 13 students have achieved the highest number of A-Levels at the highest level of grades, making 2016 another record breaking year.
Mr David Waugh, Head Teacher, said, “…it is truly amazing to be able to celebrate the successes of our students alongside their teachers and their families who have so wonderfully supported them.”
Poynton High School Sixth Form Students have once again topped the charts with 10% of all A-Levels being graded at the very prestigious A* Grade and a quarter of all A-Levels being graded at either A or A*.
Mr Richard Hardman, Director of Sixth Form, said, “…our tradition of high academic achievement has continued; it is once again another record breaking year. Students, families, staff and governors are celebrating the successes of their endeavours with 15% of our students gaining straight A and A* grades in all of their A-Level subjects and more students than ever securing their progression to places at Oxford, Cambridge and other Russell Group Universities. The range of universities and courses our students are now progressing to is truly inspiring from University College London to read English & French Law to Medicine at Leeds and Durham Universities, Biochemistry at Sheffield University to Mathematics at Warwick University.”
Mr David Waugh, Head Teacher, said, “…once again our students have done themselves, their families and our school, proud. These fabulous results are the culmination of so many hours of dedication and determination. These results once again represent the school’s best ever A-Level grades with more students than ever achieving the highest grades and overall pass marks. With 25% of all our A-Levels being graded as A or A* it represents real life changing opportunities for our students. We have students now going off to study a truly awe inspiring range of courses at our country’s top universities, including medicine, law, dentistry, veterinary science and a vast range of other university courses. This is the culmination of many thousands of hours of hard work by our students and staff and I would like to wish all of our students the very best of luck as they move on to the next exciting chapter of their lives. Well done class of 2016!”
Specific Case Studies
- Tom Alderson has achieved two A*’s and an A and is going to read Mechanical Engineering at Leeds University
- Rebecca Houghton is going to study Medicine also at Leeds University after achieving straight A grades in her 4 A-Levels. Alongside this we also have Charlie Kershaw going to study Medicine at Durham University.
- Hayden Tempest is off to read Biology at Lancaster University following achieving A*AA in his A-Levels
- Euan O’Sullivan will be reading Mathematics at Warwick University after receiving two A*s and an A grade.
- Corinna Murray is leaving us to start her apprenticeship with Ofsted (!!) after successfully getting her three A-Levels in English Literature, English Language and Health & Social Care